
Vampires have taken a bite out of pop culture. Lately, everything is vampire. For years vampire stories have been around like Dracula, Interview with a Vampire, “Buffy the Vampire Slayer”, and Southern Vampire Novels (the basis for "True Blood"). Ever since my beloved Twilight, came out there is a vampire frenzy. Why, might you ask? This is because advertisements, TV shows, and movies target the millions of teen/young adult fans’ attention – and then it spreads to younger kids and adults. After The Twilight Saga proved to be a success, the show “True Blood” came out on HBO. True Blood is based on Southern Vampire Novels that actually came out before Twilight. Shocking – when all the kids thought Stephanie Meyer was original! (Don’t hate me for writing that – love her books). Vampires have now become a common part of everyday life. There is clothing that has the catchphrase “Bite Me” on it and other stores that sell clothing that is aimed towards those who favor vampire attire. There is even a vampirewear.com, where there are boots, blood vials fangs, coffin gift boxes, and yes accessories that have the faces or symbols from Twilight on it. It’s okay to be Goth, as long as there is an association with vampires. I didn’t realize how far the craze had gone with Hollywood until I recently opened the newest issue of Vanity Fair (yes, the one with the gorgeous Johnny Depp on the cover)! Inside the magazine it showed celebrities at two different parties all wearing vampire teeth, and the event had nothing to do with vampires. The phenomenon has taken over and does not seem to be slowing down soon, but I don’t mind! Don’t be afraid to sink your teeth in deeper and drink it all in, I know I am.

No comments:
Post a Comment